I wish I'd said... in Retrospect

I wish I’d said how bad things were
Maybe then you’d understand
I did not mean to leave like that
Things didn’t turn out as planned

I spoke with you the week before
Could you not hear my pain?
My tears were wet upon my cheeks
Yet you gave no reason to remain

I am sorry for the grief I caused
I know that my death did sting
But my life was as good as ruined
I had nothing left to bring

I didn’t have the will or courage
To leave you with a letter
I know how you searched for one
Would it have made you feel better?

I wish I’d shared with you my heart
My failures, faults and my fears
I tried so hard to make things right
But words got strangled by my tears

Please can you try forgive me
It was a coward’s way to quit
If only I could have seen the future
I wouldn’t be left with this regret

No comments:

Post a Comment